The Pasadena Roving Archers offers free archery classes to all ages every Saturday morning in Pasadena.
You don’t need to join a gym to get in a good workout in Los Angeles. There are many outdoor stairways accessible to the public.
Celebrate Presidents’ Day and the enjoy the horse races at Santa Anita Park with $1 beers, hot dogs & sodas. Admission fee is required to enter the park.
If you’re a movie lover on a budget, mark your calendar for Tuesdays. Cinemark offers its weekly Discount Day every Tuesday at participating locations. Ticket prices range from $1 to $5.75, depending on the location. (There is an upcharge for 3-D films.) The offer is not valid for new movies on opening day, specially priced engagements or on holidays. Plus, the promo price does not include Cinemark XD, Cinemark IMAX or special engagements. Cinemark has theaters in Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virgina, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia. Check here for pricing and participation.
Bank of America customers can visit museums free the first Saturday and Sunday of the month through the bank’s Museums On Us program. Just show your Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card and a photo ID, and you will get free admission to more than 150 museums and attractions in cities across the United States.
In Los Angeles, your card will get you into:
- The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) for free –normally a $15 admission for adults. The hours on the weekend are 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Autry National Center from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., saving you $10 admission.
- Skirball Cultural Center from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and save the $10 price for adult admission.
You can also get free visits to museums in the San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland and Orange County areas.
Do not miss these free museum weekends in 2014:
- May 3-4
- June 7-8
- July 5-6
- August 2-3
- September 6-7
- October 4-5
- November 1-2
- December 6-7
If you are looking for an inexpensive way to get around the city, try Lyft, a new ride-sharing program with friendly drivers. It’s cheaper than a cab and more convenient than the bus. It’s operating in cities nationwide, including Los Angeles.
Living on the Cheap and Lyft would love for you to give it a try, so Lyft is offering new Lyft customers a free ride, worth up to $25. Read on to learn the basics of how Lyft works, and how to get that free ride.
It’s simple to use.
- Download the Lyft app to your smartphone and sign up, linking it to your credit or debit card.
- When you want a ride, just open the app and it will locate you on a map and show you where the closest Lyft driver is.
- Request a ride and when a driver accepts the request, you’ll see a picture of the driver and car. There will be a button that will allow you to call the driver if you need to, and you can even track the driver’s progress on the map.
- When your Lyft ride arrives—it’ll be easy to tell because the car will have a pink mustache on it—sit up front, relax, charge your phone, listen to the radio and chat with your new friend. A Lyft is more than just a ride; it’s a way to meet friendly local people who can show you the best way to get around your city.
- After the ride Lyft will prompt you to pay. If you’d like to add a tip for your driver you can do that too.
If you’re hesitant to get into a car with a stranger, know that there are strong safety measures in place. Lyft does a background check on every driver and has high standards for safety. Read about the safety measures here. Also, the Lyft community helps out by rating drivers (and passengers) so you can feel good about the person whose ride you’re sharing.
Ready for that free ride? Your special promo code is LIVECHEAP. It’s good for one ride, worth up to $25, and it doesn’t expire. It’s for new Lyft riders only. To use it, just go to the payment screen in the app and enter it there.
After you try Lyft, let us know how you liked it. We’d love to hear about your experience.